Commonwealth Government Policy
On 12 May 2010, Minister for Sport, Kate Ellis MP, released the Commonwealth Government’s new direction for Australian sport. 'Australian Sport: The Pathway to Success' delivers on the Commonwealth's commitment to boost funding to both community and elite sport, and for the first time, delivers significant investment to the vital link that connects grassroots participation and high performance sport.
The specific initiatives under this policy that impact school sport, physical education and physical activity is a commitment to a Sport and Education Strategy that will aim to bring a new focus on the delivery of quality sport in schools and boost the number of our children participating in sport and will*:
- Prioritise physical education in the development of phase three of the national curriculum develop by the Australian Curriculum Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA) , and that the number of hours committed to physical activity in the school curriculum be maximised.
- Boost teachers’ skills under the Improving Teacher Quality National Partnership to ensure high quality sport and physical education is delivered in our schools.
- See the Commonwealth Government work with states, territories and ACARA to achieve national professional standards for teachers in this area.
- Provide communities with places to play sport and engage in physical activity on school grounds, and;
- Work with schools to ensure communities can access multipurpose halls and covered learning areas funded under the Commonwealth's Building the Education Revolution program.
*Commonwealth of Australia 2010, Australian Sport: The Pathway to Success - Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra
For further information, please don't hesitate to contact us.
<< Click here to go back to Policies main page