ACHPER Victoria mid-year update
ACHPER Victoria is committed to helping equip, support and enable Health and Physical Education (HPE) teachers at all levels to maximise student outcomes in physical education, sport education, health education and outdoor education.
Did you know, that in addition to providing professional learning programs and events to help teachers teach at the top of their game such as our recent HPE conferences for Primary and Secondary / VCE in June and in-school consultations, a lot of the other work we do is project-based and focussed on building collaborative relationships.
It's been a busy year to date! We’d like to take this opportunity to provide you with an overview of what the ACHPER Victoria team have been working on to achieve our strategic goals and support teachers in the first half of 2019:
EDUCATE: Helping others to achieve
Goal 1: Encourage practice excellence in HPE
- Workshop: Teaching PE for the First Time
- Workshop: FMS and Games Sense
- Primary and Secondary / VCE HPE Conferences
- VCE webinars and resources
- #TipOfTheWeekHPE (access all of our tips here)
- Development of our content and resources plan with strategic focus on digital resources
COLLABORATE: Working with others
Goal 2: Collaborate to facilitate excellence in health and physical education
- Collaboration with TransformUs! to support the delivery of their Sporting Schools, Exemplary Schools pilot
- Participation in the VCAA workshop on Teaching the Capabilities Through the 7-10 Learning Areas
- Participation in the VCAA Formative Assessment project, linked to developing assessment rubrics templates and exemplars
- Recommendation by request from ASADA for two Victorian teachers to attend ASADA’s Sport Integrity professional development workshop in Canberra
- Project work with Sport Australia developing resources which address the Sport Australia Physical Literacy Framework
- Project work with the Victorian Department of Education to develop curriculum support resources specific to HPE to be launched on FUSE in the coming months.
ADVOCATE: Why we do what we do
Goal 3: Promote the values and purposes of health and physical education
- Launch of our inaugural Teaching Excellence Awards to recognise and celebrate outstanding teaching in HPE
- Participation by invitation in the Department of Education’s Swimming and Water Safety Advisory group
- Contribution to the Victorian School Sport Council to advocate the importance of quality HPE as a foundation element for school sport outcomes.
- Meeting by request with The Hon James Merlino (Deputy Premier & Minister for Education) to discuss the importance of HPE in assisting to achieve the Education State Targets.
- Contribution to the Victorian Active Living Alliance to ensure the environment of schools and particularly the HPE curriculum area is understood in terms of valuable contribution to lifelong active living.
To learn more about any of the above, please don’t hesitate to contact your peak body for more information. We are here to help!